What are the advantages of using a freight forwarder?
If you’re new to importing to Nigeria, or you just want the process to be as simple as possible, you might benefit from using a freight forwarder. Here are some advantages to consider:
- You’ll only need to deal with one person to arrange your shipment, rather than several different haulage and freight companies
- Many freight forwarders are experts in import/export paperwork, and can help you navigate the complex processes involved
- With their local connections, freight forwarders can find service providers all over the globe to complete your shipment
- Freight forwarders can negotiate on shipping, haulage and warehousing costs on your behalf
- Using a freight forwarder offers peace of mind – if something goes wrong, or you need to submit an insurance claim, they should be able to help out
What are the disadvantages of using a freight forwarder?
Of course, there are also some downsides to choosing a freight forwarder. Bear in mind the following:
- Using a freight forwarder can increase the overall costs of your shipment
- Using a freight forwarder means you don’t have control over the details of your shipment – you’ll be leaving all the details to a third party and need to trust them
- If you have the connections needed to arrange and negotiate your own shipment and haulage locally, you might be able to get better deals keeping the process in-house
- If you use a large forwarding company, for a relatively small shipment, your needs might not be prioritised
- Not all freight forwarders cover every market – and not all markets are well regulated. You’d need to check the credentials of your chosen supplier to make sure they can actually deliver what they say they can
Life is busy for any entrepreneur – and never more so than if you’re working in import/export, and needing to deal with suppliers all over the globe. Using a freight forwarding agency can take a load off your mind, as you’ll know a specialist has picked up the haulage, shipping and even customs processes for your goods. You can then get back to growing your business, safe in the knowledge your shipment is in good hands.